- great introduction and you set the scene well with your underlying thoughts that aim to tease us about what could be a very exciting project development.
- well presented work with a contextualize graphic environment
- On the whole well written and a good use of referencing to locate the research data.
- good evidence of the research feeding your practice – well done
areas to improve/develop
- I am a little worried that some of the messaging is confused. for example i have no issue with the question about function versus art but wonder about the need to question this in the context of ever decreasing space. The two subjects seem quite disparate and unrelated to the developments of your argument. So try and stay focussed on more central arguments.
- Too much reliance of web-based reading material in your bibliography.Make sure you find published materials in future and if you get into a position where material os hard to find try rephrasing the question and seek help from LWIS staff (Linda Wadsworth).
- Try and take work in progress to the tutorials to get advice on crafting the document in time.
- ability to apply research methodologies 16(25%)
- ability to develop analysis, critical position and argument 16(25%)
- ability to draw conclusions to the work 17(25%)
- quality of presentation and communication 17(25%)
- indicative mark 66(100%)
note the weighting of assignment 1 is 40%
- use of blog to record research and enveloping personal thoughts as the semester progresses are developing well.
- great layout and visual style for the blog and clever the way you link visitors to the honours portfolio.
- interesting that the archives have text titles to identify posts and that the home page is all visual representations of the final work for semester 1. Not sure if this was intentional but it certainly develops a sense of hierarchy in the presentation of your work.
- some great quotes and references to work with
- some really useful areas of research being sourced to inspire practice work.
- personal comments are insightful and reflect well your growing knowledge of the subject
- well done for including the learning agreement and your presentation within the blog
- well done for including design work so we can see how the research is directly feeding the design process
- as work progresses your search starts to become more focussed as you need answers to feed the specifics of your project
- use of archiving works well to reduce linearity of the blog
- overall a strong sense of engagement in your research and reflection of the subject.
areas to improve/develop
- use the links section o connect to the web-based materials you have sourced in your research
- when incorporating visuals (for example honours) remember to save files as screen resolution to speed up navigation
- a need to rename some of your categories as they better reflect the context of the research study area
- should have included a bibliography
- layout of blog is sometimes messy – avoid misalignment in the blog layout
- ability to build upon key issues that have been raised in the learning agreement 22(25%)
- ability to identify connections between the students evolving practices and the practice of others 22(25%)
- ability to identify relevant research methodologies and application in producing the reflective diary 18(25%)
- ability to reflect upon issues raised and the progression made by the student over the semester 20(25%)
indicative mark: 82(100%)
note the weighing of assignment 2 is 60%
interior design practice 1 – double module
- learning agreement – well written and focused learning agreement. You do well to summarise the sections of thinking engaged in to develop your practice. Sets the scene for good works to come.
- practice proposal controversial and powerful topic for the design proposal.
- work already developing a sense of drama, connection to the modern world and questioning approach that fits in well with an MA study.
- life as art could be a great launch pad for the whole MA development and there is still potential with the project if you are willing to get deeper under its skin.
areas for improvement:
- learning agreement – none
- practice proposal – whilst you have managed to pull out of the bag a grand finale to the semester there is need for more depth. You do not like the medium of the sketch book and tend to develop ideas a lost immediately you complete and area of research and get started with an idea.
- instead try sketching ideas that involve people centric discussions with sketches that explore the subject from the user’s perspective. also do some research as ways to present a concept.
Things to ponder over, as this time next year i would have finished my masters work, and the exhibition will be open for viewing.
1. start saving lots of money –
just off the top of my head prices include:
.looking into hiring a bar to make the show more professional also maybe a dj
. Each book to produce will cost around 40 pound each (look for voucher codes)
. Banners will cost around 40 pound each( get in matt format not satin)
. Need to buy equipment for exhibition such as wood or material for stand, B N Q cut wood for free – also buy photo mount not spray mount as spray mount bubble.
. Before we leave for summer get approval for dissertation topic so that can be worked on over summer while i have the time.
. Also the 9th dec can hand that in as a digital copy and get in printed and bound over christmas.
.send invitations out weeks before the show and then a reminder a few days before and if business or people can’t come on the opining night
discuss meeting during the week to discuss your work.
Need to start what kind of design i want is it purely digital banners structure.?
So many things to organise and all this without a topic in mind yet this is going to be a stressful year!!! CANT WAIT
Just a quick post to say thank you for all the
Support so far on my blog. Hope all your
Holidays are going well. Keep looking at my blog
New research and designs coming soon.
“In their work the artists incorporate aspects of architecture, design, and sculpture to create installations and drawings that “negotiate the space between the functional and the nonfunctional,” where they derive their “inspiration from the physical world” and express their interest in the intersection of art and society in a humorous manner.”
This really intrigues me the space between functional and non functional space, when does a piece of design go to far to the point where the function becomes purely pointless.?
“Currently on view at Sean Kelly Gallery is the project Rumba Muerta by artist duo Marco Castillo and Dagoberto Rodriguez a.k.a. Los Carpinteros. The duo was formed in 1991 (along with then-collaborator Alexandre Arrechea) and the artists choose to work under the name Los Carpinteros in order to renounce the socially problematic ideology of individual authorship. Instead, the collective name evokes the cultural tradition of skilled artisans—in this case, carpentry. Indeed, the notion of craft is crucial to their practice, as is that of design. With Rumba Muerta Los Carpinteros incorporate aspects of architecture, design, and sculpture to create installations and drawings which seek to negotiate the divide between inhabited spaces, social consciousness, and non-functional art objects.”
A divide between inhabited spaces the social consciousness of the inhabited space and fitting non functional art methods into these.
Have i just found my brief?
. First find and inhabited space that we are socially connected to then to create a social connection using the theories of modern art.
.Client general public to begin with to create social interaction
Whats the difference between art and design?
Art can be personal to the artist and does not have to be understood by all who view it. Art can have many perspectives people see different aspects of art giving it different meanings, and some do not understand or appreciate it at all.
Where as design has to be understood by the public for it to be a successful. If a design is to complicated or does not make sense it would not be used as it was designed for. This wouldn’t attract people and would soon be replaced with a better design.
This is why not many appreciate modern art but contemporary design is design is popular throughout homes and social spaces. However i am intrigued by the theories behind modern art and think they can contribute more to contemporary design.
Great presentation on in design so much potential on what i could do with my work, now i just need the money to get all these design packages (sigh). Any 1 want to be very generous and just give me them :). Aims for this week start sketching and come up with a design from the books i have been reading.Once i have internet blogs will be more regular and different topics each day so keep interested people blogging will begin asap.
“In some moment in their lives old buildings must be reformed and rehabilitated so that they meet today’s standards of pragmatism fr homes designed to be lived in.”
This has become a trend within people, they feel the need to be reformed and rehabilitated to keep updated with modern living. But if we are for ever-changing the way we are do we not eventually loose ourselves?
Putting that into the context of a building if we are for ever reforming buildings will it not eventually loose its original identity?
They say on a website/blog you get 8 seconds on an average before someone decides to stay or leave your site, that’s it 8 seconds to make your impression. I think this also applies to interiors. You get 8 seconds before the design gets judged and they make up their mind on how long they are going to stay and if they want to return.
Early days but does this interest you within the 8 seconds im given??
learning about how the blog works and what potential the blog can create.. who is my blog aimed at?
Mine is a reflective diary for my MA course but also a place to discuss new ideas and recent projects out there in the industry. I picked a book from the library which turned out to be not what i as looking for but it raised some interesting questions.
The book is called the new decor, it’s all about modern art, when it comes to modern art i don’t really think its any good. the forms them self just seem very random and thrown together yet the meanings and theory behind them are so meaningful and deep. Cant these ideas become practical and useful in design, without just becoming a weird aesthetic for most people to dismiss.?